Monday 24 May 2010

Two Biopics of Influences upon you, with a description... Who and what their influences included, and detailed descriptions of their practice


<< onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhJDdkSsuKJI9PudJZwkB_W1IVtOibfrnTu1ERLGwz5XgZ1iKJD1rtDPIZsqJwMqGK14j6EW8yyjD8FxFSZBA311PgbHPz4Le6BMyZBDYAFBKha_CBSYzwofnoffKaFDL1Y9q_DHJ2Ir8lK/s1600/wARM+Hands.jpg">




B


Picture A. The Metamorphosis of Narcissus by Salvador Dali, 1937


Picture B. Cold heart, warm hand



The way I like to draw is abstract and surreal. My illustrations are sometimes expressive and loose, and leaves the viewer space for their own interpretation. As I tried to push my own technique even further I began to read and explore the different styles of surrealist art. I also started implementing graffiti in my work, which allowed me create my own style. Picture (B). The idea for my painting derived from the saying "Warm heart, cold hands". What I did was simply change the meaning around, and named it called Cold heart, warm hand. This is a metaphorical term which just means that, the most stubborn of people will always give in to your understanding as long as you treat, respect and love them the right way.

Salvador Dali was my favourite surrealist artists. He's surrealist theory is based on the theories of the psychologist Dr. Sigmund Freud. Recurring images of burning giraffes and melting watches became the artist's surrealist trademarks. His great craftsmanship allowed him to execute his paintings in a nearly photorealistic style. The images found in surrealist works are as confusing and startling as those of dreams. Surrealist works can have a realistic, though irrational style, precisely describing dreamlike fantasies as stated by Dr. Sigmund Freud. The Surrealist movement was characterized by meetings in cafes where the Surrealists played collaborative drawing games and discussed the theories of Surrealism. The Surrealists developed a variety of techniques such as automatic drawing. Soon more visual artists joined Surrealism including Giorgio de Chirico, Enrico Donati, and Breton.

The second choice I have chosen to talk about comes from the works of Marvel Studio's. I have been a keen follower of the Marvel comics for over 10 years. What started off as a little comic collection has now expanded into a comic library, for me and for a vast amount of people around the world. Marvel and DC comics have captured the imaginations of people all around the world grown and young. I first started to collect the Spider man issues, then X-Men and then limited editions of various comics. When I draw my character's you can greatly see the influences of Marvel artists Jack Kirby, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt.

I love the way that Marvel bring their characters to life by adding history and feelings to them. As well as their artwork I also admire the business setup of Marvel. They have managed to turn a humble business into a multibillion Dollar empire. As if having their own theme park wasn’t enough the Marvel Entertainment group have managed to merchandise and put Marvel characters on everything from toys, chocolate bars, clothes to films. Recently on December 31, 2009, The Walt Disney Company acquired Marvel Entertainment for $4.24 billion.

No comments:

Post a Comment